Saturday, August 23, 2008

So sad... so many reasons

I haven't posted in ages. This is due to the fact that the boys literally stop me from being on a computer in their presence. Then, when I went to upload some pictures to our desktop about a week ago, I discovered it had erased all of the pictures I had there, which was all of them. I have completely lost all of June and July (I had previously downloaded the other pictures to the web). This is sad. But I just read a post on APV (a Yahoo discussion group for anyone involved in Vietnamese adoptions) and saw this posted. This disturbs me for so many reasons:
* Cameron & Connor were born in and adopted from Vung Tau, one of the six counties in which arrests have occurred
* We received falsified documentation at referral (their initial medical reports were incorrectly translated - "positif" as "negative" - which was not discovered by us until after the G&R; we actually were not allowed to see the original French medical reports until after we received their visas and were on the way to the airport to come home)
* We have several reasons to believe other paperwork surrounding their abondonment was less than truthful
* The agency we used, FHSA, works with a known criminal previously found guilty of visa fraud charges, My Linh Soland
* FHSA was denied Hague accreditation in May. For those not involved in intercountry adoption, the Hague is a treaty that governs intercountry adoptions between the United States and nearly 75 other nations. As stated on the U.S. Dept of State's site, "The Hague Adoption Convention protects children and their families against the risks of unregulated adoptions abroad, and ensures that intercountry adoptions are in the best interests of children. The Convention also serves to prevent the abduction, sale of, or traffic in children." Vietnam has not adopted these rules yet.
* Just as a strange coincidence, the boys were named Hoa and Binh by their orphanage director (no longer at the orphanage as of Dec-07 when the Goods went to visit). Hoa Binh is another one of the six counties in which arrests have occurred.

I guess my crying is the only thing keeping the boys from tearing me away from the computer right now. To say I am devastated is an understatement. My heart is just breaking. My worst fears and suspicions have been further confirmed. Now we just wait to hear the details. So, so sad.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

(((hugs))) you obviously aren't alone. I've been battling this particular deamon a lot longer than you so if you want to chat just drop me an email. It sucks, I know.