Friday, August 15, 2008

Politics: 'Tis the season

And I'm not referring to Halloween, Thanksgiving or Christmas. It's election time!!!

I do try to NOT discuss politics much, especially from where I sit. I grew up in Texas and am now in Florida - both are very red states. I also am a CPA which is traditionally a Republican crowd. I can't say "conservative" because not all accountants/professionals are evangelical Christians but they do tend to have conservative economic/tax philosophies of which many I share. However, I am a democrat. I was so excited that my first election had Gore on the ticket... as VP. I was really excited about him because of his environmental positions and I knew if Clinton could win and keep it for the second term, Gore would be a shoe in. I didn't sleep much that Tuesday, November 2, 2000. I was actually in class when CNN showed Gore winning the state of Florida. By the time I got home that night after class, Florida was red. WHAT??? Gore won the popular vote and lost the election. I was devastated. I had grown a bit embarrassed for my guy though as I watched him make the most ridiculous comments all brought up during the campaign (i.e. "I invented the internet"). There were many. It was embarrassing but I still had hope. And then he conceded and it was my state that lost it for him. It was sad but life goes on. The last election was unfortunately pretty boring. Nothing could be worse than George W. Bush but I don't think anything could be more boring and annoying to listen to than John Kerry. Seriously - how did he get the democratic nomination? Did people just vote for him so he'd stop talking? Anyway, that was a drag but this election is the most exciting one for me yet. I'm finally voting FOR a candidate again and not against one or for the hope of a future one.

Barack Obama has the most unlikely circumstances to have ever even dreamed of running for the highest post in this country. I love that he has risen to the occasion.

Obama is an extraordinarily talented speaker and a very positive one. He doesn't try to win people to his side by scaring them of the other. His is a message of hope and bringing people together. I love it!

Obama's economic policy is essentially that government should stay out except where it is needed. Businesses will respond to market pressures to produce better products cheaper. What they won't always do voluntarily is make sure they protect their employees and/or leave the Earth unhurt while making those products. Government needs to step in to make sure hazardous waste isn't dumped in our water; working conditions for workers are safe; etc. I totally agree!

Obama supports a woman's right to choose. He wants to invest in technology to replace our dependence on oil for energy. He is focused on making sure all Americans have health care - the poor, those with pre-existing health conditions, EVERYONE. He understands the need to join with the global community and not to try and force them into doing what he wants. I'm so excited about the possibility of him becoming our next president! It's official - I'm an Obama mama!

No comments: