Monday, March 24, 2008

My little sponges

Today, Ms. Delsa was not at school and her substitute, Ms. Olga, was there. Ms. Olga speaks some English which is really cool because today she told me the boys really are speaking Spanish now and understand the things she tells them. She said that they can count but they would not cooperate when she tried to show me. Then she showed me the juice jug and told me that when they see it, they say "jugo" for juice.

After we left and had been driving for a little bit, I asked the boys if they wanted to count and then said "uno" to which they responded "dos" and then, as I was saying "tres" they were saying "cuatro." We counted to five/cinco a few times but they always said "dos" followed by "cuatro." It was very cute!

This was followed by Connor's realization this past weekend that he could say si for yes. Previously, for Connor to say yes, he has to think really hard to shake his head up and down. I've tried verbalizing "yeah" for him thinking that may be easier to say but it wasn't working. Then at one point on Saturday, I asked him something and he said si. Sweet! Our boys can communicate with us! Cameron shakes his head yes for us. Also, both boys say "apple" when they want juice at home (all juices are apple juice in their minds). Mike and I were joking this weekend that we'd have to learn Spanish to communicate with the boys but I think they're just going to learn both in their own ways. It's still the most amazing thing to me.

We stopped by my parents' on the way home today. Once we got settled, I asked the boys if they wanted jugo. Cameron repeated jugo and Connor said si. Too cute!

No comments: